Fruit and vegetable consumption and sarcopenia among older adults in low- and middle-income countries

Koyanagi, Ai and Veronese, Nicola and Solmi, Marco and Oh, Hans and Shin, Jae Il and Jacob, Louis and Yang, Lin and Haro, Josep M. and Smith, Lee (2020) Fruit and vegetable consumption and sarcopenia among older adults in low- and middle-income countries. Nutrients, 12 (3). p. 706. ISSN 2072-6643

[img]
Preview
Text
Published Version
Available under the following license: Creative Commons Attribution Non-commercial No Derivatives.

Download (423kB) | Preview
[img] Text
Accepted Version
Restricted to Repository staff only
Available under the following license: Creative Commons Attribution Non-commercial No Derivatives.

Download (119kB) | Request a copy
Official URL: https://doi.org/10.3390/nu12030706

Abstract

Fruit and vegetable consumption may protect against sarcopenia but there are no studies on this topic from low- and middle-income countries (LMICs). Thus, we assessed this association among older adults from six LMICs. Community-based cross-sectional data of the Study on Global Ageing and Adult Health were analyzed. Sarcopenia was defined as the presence of low skeletal muscle mass based on indirect population formula, and either slow gait or low handgrip strength. Quintiles of vegetable and fruit consumption were created based on the number of servings consumed on a typical day. Multivariable logistic regression analysis was conducted. The sample consisted of 14,585 individuals aged ≥65 years [mean (SD) age 72.6 (11.4) years; 55% females]. Adjusted analyses showed that overall, compared to the lowest quintile (Q1), the highest quintile (Q5) of fruit consumption was associated with a 40% lower odds for sarcopenia (OR=0.60; 95%CI=0.42-0.84) but this association was largely driven by the strong association among females (e.g., Q5 vs. Q1 OR=0.42; 95%CI=0.24-0.73), with no significant associations found among males. Vegetable consumption was not significantly associated with sarcopenia. Future studies of longitudinal design may shed light on whether increasing fruit consumption among older females in LMICs may reduce risk for sarcopenia.

Item Type: Journal Article
Keywords: Sarcopenia, low- and middle-income countries, Fruit, Vegetable, Older Adults
Faculty: Faculty of Science & Engineering
SWORD Depositor: Symplectic User
Depositing User: Symplectic User
Date Deposited: 04 Mar 2020 14:58
Last Modified: 26 Jun 2020 14:11
URI: http://arro.anglia.ac.uk/id/eprint/705250

Actions (login required)

Edit Item Edit Item